Assigning the name servers - Please explain what this means
For your domain name to become visible on the Internet, you have to inform the main Whois database the name server address of where your website is stored. The name server delegation can take 1 - 72 hours to update on the Whois database which means there may be a delay in your domain name being seen.
If you purchase your domain name through us, we assign the nameservers at the time of purchase. If you purchased your domain name elsewhere, then it is your responsibility as the domain registrant to inform the domain name registrar [where you purchased the domain name] of our name servers. If this is too difficult for you to do or understand then we shall do it for you at a cost of $15.50 to cover our time. We will need your domain name log on details as well to do this on your behalf. You do not have to be our customer for us to do this for you.Example of assigning the name servers:
- Do a Whois search using the domain name search to the right of your screen to find out who your domain registrar is.
- Go to your domain registrar's website and log in to your account. The log on details would have been emailed to you when you purchased the domain name. If you do not have this email, try a password reset or contact your domain name registrar for the log on details.
- Each registrar is different so look for a link that says something like 'manage your domain name'.
- Now locate the 'manage name servers' or similar link.
- Most web hosts will give you two name servers to assign. Here is an example of ours:
- Either click ADD or SAVE.
- Now wait for these to update on the Whois database.
- If you cannot see your website within 24 hours, do another Whois name search to see if the new name servers have updated. If not, repeat the process.
GEEK SPEAK DEFINITION > Whois: A way to view a domain name if it is available or taken, plus tells you who owns a domain name if it is taken. It gives the registrant's name and contact details plus the name server details, when the domain name was registered and when it expires.
Further reading: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Name_server